Background

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Saturday Insights

This morning we went to the funeral of our friend, Judy Andress, who died last Monday (who I wrote about). It was a sweet service. She did not have any children or any family left...and yet everyone who knew her became her family. It was quite a tribute to someone we had lived courageously and joyously in spite of her huge challenges. She had cancer for so many years and had so many different rough experiences. I felt like many of the words of the funeral went straight to my heart. Funerals are always a time to reevaluate your own life...and this was no different. A dear friend who spoke gave this scripture from the Book of Mormon,which we regard as another testament of Jesus Christ, and it really touched me. It is from 2 Nephi 31:20, and it reads, "Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." It seemed to touch on all the things that I should be doing and feeling...and I'm so glad that I was there to be reminded of all that.

Other than that, it has been a pretty normal Saturday--with chores and wash and errands. I am thankful there are glimmers of inspiration in the middle of our mostly-ordinary lives. Love to all, Louise

3 comments:

  1. Funny that you would write all that... one of the things I was thinking about yesterday was how important hope is.. how it shines a light on everything, no matter how bleak. Well, I just spent the last 12 hours cooking the Thanksgiving meal which was really one of the best--we even managed for the first time to get the Yorkshire puddings not too fall (Chloe did that!!!).. Yeah... We are taking a break before we dive into the dessert and (not very traditional but oh so French) the cheese that we bought yesterday in Paris. Meantime, its the fireplace and cozy time. Love you, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louisa -- I love the scripture you quoted Louise - it's one I come back to again and again. "Pressing forward" is such an encouraging image. We aren't expected to leap or race, simply to keep at it.
    Hope you have a wonderful Sabbath.
    Love,
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is my favorite scripture, Louise....it says it all. So glad you had a pretty normal Saturday....I hope this week with Thanksgiving around the corner will be the best for you in a long time. Love you, Janet

    ReplyDelete