Background

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Letting people help

One of the things that you learn when you are going through this kind of experience is how fiercely independent we try to be. We try to always take care of ourselves and never ask for help. It is not bad to be independent, but sometimes we need to recognize our need for help, to ask for it, and then be grateful for it--not an easy thing to do. Today I am thankful for my neighbor, Heather Huth, who asked me if she could pick up some groceries for me while she was at the store. She was going to be out running errands, and so I agreed to let her do that for me. I think we both felt good--I felt good because it really was a help, and she has wanted to do something to help me and hasn't been sure what the best thing was that she could do. We need to be willing to accept service as well as give it--and that is not an easy lesson to learn. I know that I am not always one that is good about accepting help. Thank you, Heather, for helping me and reminding me that it is good to get help. :)

I am feeling somewhat better today. Spence and I went to see the doctor. We will be setting up a cat scan in the next week or two to see how I'm doing. It was a beautifully cool day in Phoenix--practically perfect. Have a happy Veterans Day! :)

2 comments:

  1. Louise,

    I love your wise words. You are always so good at helping others. Now it is your turn to let them help you. And in reality you are giving service to the people who help you because they feel good when they do it. Service is a circle of love! I hope your day is wonderful!

    Love,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Webe, it's so heartwarming to hear (read) you share your lesson regarding service. I always think we get back tenfold what we give. That's not why we do it, but just a natural outcome of giving of ourselves. And it's also not always on our timeline. Letting others do for you at this time in your life is a way of letting us give back a little for what you have done for us so many times and in so many ways. I so love and appreciate you. I only wish I lived closer so I could help!! For now, I'll keep sending love and prayers! <333 Deb

    ReplyDelete