Background

Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday's Update--August 13, 2010

I am not sure how often I'm supposed to write in here, but you may hear from me more than you want. As many of you have known me, I love smiley faces--however, when I make a smiley face in one of my entries, it just comes out as two horizontal bars! Melanie, if you have any ideas, please let me know. :) (Smiley face)
Spence,Katie and I went to the Piper Cancer Center this morning to meet with a nutrionist. Katie, for those of you who don't know, is my daughter, who came home for a few weeks from Utah where she goes to school. When she heardabout me being sick, she wanted to come so she can help me along...or tell me what she wants me to do. She has never been shy, and so she asks lots of questions, and goes along with us to doctor's appointments. The nutritionist, Terry Taylor, was fabulous. She was very upbeat, and made my menu sound much more varied than the 3 different flavors of Ensure that I've been drinking. She even told me that if I drank Aloe Vera juice, it would help coat my throat, which will get burned by the radiation, thus making swallowing hard. I have never drunk aloe vera juice, but I guess in this new "adventure" I'll be doing many things I"ve never done before. She, the nutritionist, was very positive, and we talked about different things I can eat--avocado smoothies may head the list! After her, we met with Joyce, who helped me learn to use the feeding tube. I want you all to know that I passed the feeding tube test--was able to pour water and calorie packed (and protein packed) Instant Breakfast into this tube without spilling too much.This Instant Breakfast is NOT the stuff you get on your local grocery store shelf. I learned how to clean out the tube. The nurses in radiology made me feel like you could never ever get this opening wet because infection would set in. Joyce was much more realistic, and I felt much less paranoid about the whole thing. Joyce was so much fun--instead of holding this syringe with the liquid in it, and watching it drip, I can even use a bag...and they're going to give me a pole to hold it up (like having your own personal drip system) You can tell I"m getting desperate for something fun, if I think having a pole, holding up my drip bag is FUN.
I really loved this Piper Center--does anyone really love a cancer center? It is a very nice facility, the people are super nice and helpful. They have all kinds of services--even cooking classes where you can learn to make really healthy smoothies and other fun things. They will also get a guy to help you make a personal exercise program--and they have some good equipment. We were very impressed by this older woman who was diagnosed with colon cancer (also going into the liver) in 2007. She was like the exercise queen! She was still having chemo treatments, but was mixing them with nutrition and exercise. I have never belonged to a health club--this is my big chance. :) (another smiley face, in case you are seeing horizontal lines)

Well, that's about it for today, except that Katie and I went to Sprout's grocery store, and bought all kinds of healthy things. (Can't wait till I can eat cookie dough again!)

I love you all--sorry this is such a long post, but I've always liked to talk. Next week we still have more things to do so it doesn't look like I'll start chemo for another week. Have a good weekend--and thanks for all your positive thoughts and encouraging words and inspiring prayers! Like EMily said in her first post, Spence is right by my side for everything, and is my Number 1 caregiver.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Louise,
    I just heard the news. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. Sounds like you have the right attitude, though. You are always so upbeat and looking for the good in things :) Glad to hear you have such a great support system. I wish I was closer and able to help you out and visit you. I bet you are enjoying having Katie home. I'm sure she makes things more FUN! Take care - our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

    Love, Suzie
    p.s. This will probably show up as "Rui Zhanglao" which is Jeremy's blog name since I am maintaining his mission blog while he is on his missin. Since I am not very computer savvy, I don't know how to change it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud of you Louise, mastering the feeding tube can be a pain. As usual, you have added a touch of humor to a topic that would annoy the rest of us !! The avacado smoothie sounds pretty sweet. Im still waiting for the right moment to come see you. You just name it and Ill be there . I mix a mean protien shake !! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is going to be great! I am good at telling a story once or twice, but after that, it keeps getting shorter and shorter. I will appreciate being able to read this and then talk with you.

    I will add my faith in you and your ability to do this "thing". You will have many opportunities to share your sunshine with others. You will also become closer to your family throughout this experience.

    Go get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Louise, you are in my prayers. I know Heavenly Father will be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you, Louise. And I love the blog. I hope you get carried around by the Spirit the same way I did. Just remember - YOU are strong and cancer is a huge jerk - so don't feel back kicking its tail.

    ReplyDelete