Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Adjusting to home life

I have now been home for 6 days. I didn't ever feel like I was going to come out of the hospital. It seemed like I was doomed to be there forever. Fortunately, that was NOT the case! Sorry I haven't written for a couple of days. Yesterday was a little different than we thought it would be. I had to go to a lab to make sure that the levels are right for my blood. Having the blood clot means I need to be sure that my blood is thin enough, but not too thin. So they needed to do some blood work. We waited 3 hours to finally get in...for a 30-second blood test. It was crazy. Nancy, Spence's sister, kept trying to get some idea of when I would get in. When we first got there, it was going to take 1- 1 1/2 hours, and we felt like we could wait that long...but the time kept stretching out. It was super frustrating. However, we did get to know many of the people there who was also waiting. They cheered when my name was finally called! By the time I got home, it was nearly 1:00, and I was I spent a good part of the rest of the day resting. I get tired so easily!

I am eating some now. Believe me, the food here is a lot more appetizing than the hospital food. In the hospital, it was different colors of jello or pudding--everything was sweet, and they never could be convinced that I didn't drink coffee or matter how many times we told them. :) The last few mornings I have actually had raisin toast--that has been wonderful. In fact, last night Nancy made us meatballs, and I ate a whole one. However, we did find out that I can't eat quite that much yet...I was full and didn't feel so well when I went to bed. It's all a learning process.

Nights have been a challenge. The first couple went pretty well, but now I need to change positions--get off the wedge I'm sleeping on, and sleep for a while on our recliner. The change of position really seems to help. I am still having some pain in my chest, but usually Tylenol can help relieve that. (I would much rather do that than go to "La La Land" with a bunch of heavier pain medications)

Spence is back to work, but still worries about me from there. It is good for him to get some of his work done--we're working towards normal. We're not there yet, but hopefully we'll improve each day. Thanks for your love and support, Louise


  1. It is so good to hear from you. What a challenge it can be waiting on the medical world. But it just goes to show your talent for making friends . . . the fact that everyone cheered when you finally got your turn. Hurray that you are eating more solids! I'm sure that with time you will adjust and figure out the right way for you to eat. I hope every day gets better and better. I am thinking about you and praying for you.


  2. "Everything old is new again" is what your life sounds like right now. Introducing foods, learning to walk for any length of time, etc. We are cheering for you here in Waddell!
    Love, Becky

  3. So sorry to hear about your wait!!!!!!!!!!! I would have given you my turn!!!!! You have got such a great attitude.
    Love you,

  4. I can't believe you waited for that long! That is WRONG! I would have collapsed on the floor after 30 minutes!!! As far as appetite, it takes a long time after all those meds. My surgery and meds were NOTHING compared to yours and I still don't have much of an appetite and only for certain things. Patience is the name of the game! I'm so glad Nancy is there for you and I'm sure it's good for Spence and her, as well. Take care, dear friend! Love, Deb

  5. Hi Louise: I've been reading your blog religiously but have missed a couple days of comments. Everything you are writing- while it must be frustrating--sound like the normal twists and turns in the road to recovery. Don't be in a rush to get there. It will happen. Time is your friend. It will gently and carefully bring you into a 'normal' phase. But be sure to pamper yourself and don't forget that sleep is the ultimate healer.. So if you need to nap/sleep, do as much of that as you can. Big hug, Sue

  6. It is so interesting how the "normal" things become so precious to us. We want to make the bed, do the dishes, vacuum, put away the laundry, clean the toilets, (well maybe not that so much). We want "normal" back. It is great to celebrate all the things you can do once again. I am cheering with your children and sending you my love and prayers.

  7. We have been in Texas visiting Paige and family. I was anxious to get back home so that I could read up on you. Thankful for the good news. It sounds like Nancy as come to town to help out. She is such a sweetheart. She was such a help to us in our hour of need with Paige's accident years ago. We are trying to find a time when the Belnaps and us could come over for a visit.

  8. Hi Louise...... I am sorry to hear you had to wait 3 hours.....don't know if where you go is same as where I go, but I waited 3 hours on Osborn (across from hospital) and learned that I could leave and return (as long
    as you are present when name is called). I learned how to time it so never
    wait in room. But better yet I go to Sonora Quest Labs near Shea Hospital and never waited longer than one hour. The worst wait in my life was at the VA Hospital on Indian School Rd, we waited in the ER waiting area for 12 hours, they even told us how long we could be gone to go out for dinner! Chaz did have the surgery done at Mayo and the
    VA paid 100%, so can't complain, the bill was over $30,000.00 for 3 days in CCU. This was 15 months ago, so guess waiting is not any better. Now I was in ER twice in last 6 months and they took me before everyone waiting whom had been waiting for hours, I felt bad about this, but if your blood pressure is really high and any pain in chest at all, they will take care of you if you start having that issue while waiting be sure to tell them. I am around the corner from you if you need me. Hang in there gal, Peggy

  9. "Working towards normal" .... that's really what you are doing. And, being able to eat real food again (hospital jello does not count as "real" food) is an encouraging step along the way. Hope you have a better sleep tonight Louisa.
    Love, Suzy