Background

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Let's Enjoy Christmas!

Well, true to my technological genuis, I posted this great post this morning, but then I did something and lost the whole thing. Even Emily, who always helps me, coulnd't do anything because I had messed it up so badly! Anyway, I wanted to share the words of Music and the Spoken Word, that was broadcast the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I loved the counsel he gave to enjoy the season. So I'm going to share that with all of you.

The Journey to Christmas Delivered By: Lloyd D. Newell
The month of December is a time of joyful anticipation. The sights, sounds, and smells of the season evoke feelings of excitement and wonder. For generations, children—and grown-ups—have used advent calendars and paper chains to count down the days. But does our focus ever become so fixed on the future that we forget to enjoy the journey to Christmas?

This year, instead of just looking forward, let’s also take pleasure in the preparations: in the little, less spectacular moments along the way, even in the spontaneous joys that may, at first, seem like interruptions to our bigger plans. In order to recognize those moments for what they could be, it sometimes helps to slow things down a bit. We may need to shop less and savor more. We might have to dim the bright lights in order to see the stars in the heavens, but if we look, we will find them.

Often it takes a child to redirect our focus. Think of how much children enjoy the present moments, the preparations, and not just the finished products. When helping to decorate the home, wrap presents, or bake Christmas treats, they usually make more of a mess than we would; they might not do it just right, but they also usually enjoy the moment more than we do! Their enthusiasm can be contagious.

A three-year-old girl, wholeheartedly living in the present, exclaimed: "It’s not tomorrow! It’s not today! It’s to-now!” When was the last time you felt "to-now”?

Yes, we are busy. But the days leading to Christmas are not just to be endured. In fact, perhaps they offer more of what the season is really about. The promise of Christmas is everywhere to behold. It’s not saved for Christmas morning. If we have eyes to see, ears to hear, and hearts to open, we truly can enjoy the journey to Christmas.


I know that December is a crazy time of year,but I like how he says "We may need to shop less and savor more." What great advice! Sometimes it is easier said than done..but I hope that I can take the counsel given, and truly enjoy the journey of Christmas, and not just the day of Christmas. I hope you are all doing well, and that you know I am very grateful for all the people who have helped me in MY journey this year towards better health. Your friendship and support and faith and prayers have been gifts to me all year long. May you be blessed at this time of year. With much love for you, Louise

1 comment: