Background

Monday, May 23, 2011

The End of School



This is an entry about my daughter, Kelsey. She does not like to have too much attention drawn to her, but she is ending her high school career, and it is a time of much nostalgia for me--she is ready to be "outta there," but I am having more tender feelings.

Last night we went to her seminary graduation. High schoolers in our church go to a church class every day of the school year. It's called seminary. When there aren't many LDS kids in the school, the kids go to early-morning seminary, where they are taught for about 45 minutes each morning before school starts. Kelsey did this for all 4 years of high school, and it would start about 6:30 or 7:00 each day. (depending on when school starts). They studied a different book of scripture every year. Her first year I was her seminary teacher, and maybe that is why seminary graduation was extra tender for me. The music got to me, and the fact that several of her Church friends also graduated just made it very meaningful to me. I love many of them, and the thought that they will all be taking off for school, and then going on missions and different things that are coming up for them, really got to me...and made me quite emotional. Even though high school has lots of ups and downs with friends, I still get quite attached to my kids' friends. Last night was particularly touching to me. Again, the words of a song come to my mind: "Each life that touches ours for good Reflects Thine own great mercy, Lord." How thankful I am for my dear friends and for people who have been my children's friends. There isn't much joy in life without the love and caring of good people. I am glad that my children's friends can be MY friends as well. It was a tender night for me. I am putting some pictures in of that event. ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Kelsey on her graduation! You sure have had a lot of wonderful events in your family the past while. The pictures are so fun to see. You are looking great!

    Love ya,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are looking great! And Kelsey is such a darling girl with such a wonderful life ahead. I love her giving spirit and happy countenance.

    ReplyDelete